The most recent update from the Correa family says that Juan Manuel remains on an assisted breathing machine in intensive care.
The 19 year old Ecuadorian-American racing driver Juan Manuel Correa remains in intensive care in London almost three weeks on from the crash in which he suffered serious injuries.
Racing for Charouz in Formula 2 at last month’s Belgian Grand Prix, he was involved in a high speed crash at the fearsome Radillion corner. A collision between himself and the BWT Arden of Anthoine Hubert claimed the life of the 22 year old French driver, while Correa was taken to hospital with serious leg and lung injuries.
While initially conscious in the days following the crash, Correa was placed into an induced coma in response to the extent of his lung injuries. This coming Saturday marks three weeks since the crash in Belgium and the most recent update from Correa’s parents Juan Carlos and Maria says the situation has only marginally improved since the previous update a few days ago:
“Juan Manuel remains in the Intensive Care Unit in a state of induced coma. Although his lungs have gradually recovered, his respiratory functions continue to be assisted by ECMO and a breathing ventilator.
Juan Manuel’s leg injuries remain an important concern and will undergo immediate surgery once his lungs are strong enough to withstand the procedure. More information will be provided when available.”
While Correa remains in hospital, the funeral of Anthoine Hubert was held last week in Chartres, France. Formula 2 cancelled the sprint race at Spa-Francorchamps the day following the crash, but ran on normal schedule for the Italian round at Monza two weeks ago. Charouz fielded a single car, as did Arden, out of respect for Correa and Hubert. Trident also fielded a single car, as the car Giuliano Alesi raced at Spa has been impounded by Belgian authorities as part of the investigation into the crash.
Want the latest Formula 1, Formula E & IndyCar news sent directly to you? Subscribe here!