Following the initial test with Ferrari on Saturday, Pirelli have confirmed the 18 inch tyre test schedule for the year.The initial 18 inch tyre testing of 2018 has concluded at Jerez, after Charles Leclerc took the wheel of a mule 2019 Ferrari fitted with the new 18 inch wheels.
With Formula 1 switching to 18 inch tyres as part of the far-reaching technical changes for 2021, testing of the 18 inch tyres will kick up a gear this year after some initial tests were done at the end of 2019 for data gathering.
Despite fog delaying the start of testing on Saturday, Charles Leclerc logged 130 laps of Jerez as Ferrari got the ball rolling for the 2020 Pirelli tyre testing campaign.
Ferrari are on duty again next time out, with a wet weather tyre test planned at Fiorano on the 5th March.
Every team will be given the chance to carry out 18 inch tyre testing over the course of 2020, provided they can provide Pirelli with a suitable mule car to run the bigger wheels. It’s expected every team will be in a position to do this, and no team can glean an advantage from this tyre testing as all data will be shared by Pirelli with the other teams.
Further tests at Bahrain, Catalunya, Paul Ricard, Red Bull Ring, Silverstone and Suzuka are planned between now and the end of the year with the full schedule below.
2020 Pirelli F1 18 Inch Tyre Testing Schedule:
- February 5th – Jerez – Dry – Ferrari.
- March 5th – Fiorano – Wet – Ferrari.
- March 24th & 25th – Bahrain – Dry – Renault (24th) / Mercedes (25th)
- May 12th & 13th – Catalunya – Dry – Red Bull Racing, Alfa Romeo and Renault (12th) / Red Bull Racing, Alfa Romeo (13th)
- May 26th & 27th – Paul Ricard – Wet – Red Bull Racing
- July 7th & 8th – Red Bull Ring – Dry – Alpha Tauri
- July 21st & 22nd – Silverstone – Dry – Racing Point, Williams and McLaren (21st) / Racing Point and Williams (22nd)
- September 8th & 9th – Paul Ricard – Dry – McLaren (8th) / Mercedes and Ferrari (9th)
- September 10th & 11th – Paul Ricard – Wet – Mercedes
- October 13th & 14th – Suzuka – Dry – Haas