Octane Photographic
Breaking NewsFormula 1 News

Demolition work at Spa to make way for new grandstands

Some of the old grandstands at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium have been demolished, making way for new, modern ones to be built.

Earlier this year, Formula 1 announced a new three year deal with Belgian authorities to keep Spa-Francorchamps on the calendar until at least 2021. With the racing calendar for the year now winding down as temperatures plunge in Belgium, construction work has begun at the circuit.

On Wednesday, the circuit shared images on their social media showing the old grandstands on either side of the entry to Eau Rouge have been demolished. These were quite low, both in terms of height and capacity, and the circuit say that new ones will be built. These will be semi-mobile constructions with special boxes also put in for VIPs.

The circuit says the investment is being made off the back of the new deal.

“This is a good deal which makes sure that such an important event stays in our region, thus placing us on a global visibility platform,” said Pierre Yves-Jeholet, Minister for the Economy in the Wallonia region.

“The regional and national economic benefit is significant: in 2017 we had a return on investment of 315% and ticket sales increased by 7.5%. It is also a significant first for us as we have now concluded a successful and rewarding negotiation with Formula 1.”

Tags

Thomas Maher

Co-owner, Chief Editor and a journalist for FormulaSpy.com - Ireland's only accredited F1 & Formula E website. Also working in the Irish radio broadcasting industry. Donations: PayPal - paypal.me/thomasmaheronf1 ETH/ERC20 - 0x9d0b8071180AAcB0bD5f0c1d43281768C73e8763

Close