Testing – Formula 1 pre-season testing resumed at the Circuit de Catalunya on Tuesday, with Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel wrapping up the morning session as fastest man.
Following on from last week’s truncated testing, the teams got a much more normal morning of weather, with the sun peeking through at the circuit. While still relatively chilly and brisk, action got going as normal with installation laps and drivers venturing out throughout the first two hours.
The first red flag of the day was brought out for the same team that brought out the very first red flag of the season – McLaren. Stoffel Vandoorne ground to a halt on the pit straight and had to be recovered through the pitlane wall, with a suspected battery issue that curtailed him to just a handful of laps by the end of the morning.
— McLaren (@McLarenF1) March 6, 2018
Approaching lunchtime, it was Valtteri Bottas fastest for Mercedes, before a strong set of laps from Sebastian Vettel saw the Ferrari set a 1:20.396 on the Medium tyre to go 0.3 clear of Bottas.
This was after a ten lap run on those tyres, indicating that the ultimate laptime the car is capable of, even on those tyres, remains unrealised. The top two drivers both completed over 70 laps in the morning.
Max Verstappen was P3 for Red Bull Racing, Pierre Gasly P4 for Toro Rosso & Kevin Magnussen P5 for Haas.
1. Sebastian Vettel Scuderia Ferrari 1:20.396s 84 laps
2. Valtteri Bottas Mercedes AMG Petronas 1:20.596s 84 laps
3. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:20.649s 85 laps
4. Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso Honda 1:20.973s 51 laps
5. Kevin Magnussen Haas F1 Team 1:21.298s 46 laps
6. Nico Hulkenberg Renault 1:21.432s 48 laps
7. Sergey Sirotkin Williams Martini Racing 1:21.588s 40 laps
8. Marcus Ericsson Alfa Romeo Sauber 1:21.893s 56 laps
9. Sergio Perez Sahara Force India 1:21.936s 37 laps
10. Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1:24.773s 5 laps