Sam Bird posted the fastest time for Envision Virgin Racing during the first day of pre-season testing at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia.
Bird set his fastest time of 1:15.570 during the afternoon session beating the BMW i Andretti of Maximilian Guenther, who had ended the morning session at the top of the times, by 0.093 of a second.
DS Techeetah’s Antonio Felix da Costa finished both sessions just behind Guenther. Mitch Evans finished the day 0.154 seconds off the lead for Panasonic Jaguar Racing while the reigning champion, Jean-Eric Vergne, ended with his DS Techeetah two tenths behind Bird.
In the morning session Sebastien Buemi and Lucas di Grassi both posted the the same time of 1:16.297 but during the afternoon Buemi’s Nissan e.dams put in a faster time to finish the day sixth overall while the Audi’s quickest time of the day was outside of the top 10.
Oliver Rowland’s 1:15.942 slotted I’m in behind his Nissan teammate and just ahead of Pascal Wehrlein’s 1:15.975 in the Mahindra.
Rounding out the top 10 for day one were the Envision Virgin machine of Robin Frijns and Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler’s Daniel Abt with very similar times of 1:16.081 and 1:16.084.
There were a total of four red flags during the day, three in the morning and the final one an hour into the afternoon session. The first came when James Calado’s Jaguar got a bit friendly with the wall at the chicane within the first half hour.
The second red flag was for Mercedes-Benz EQ driver, Nyck de Vries, when he stopped out on track, with the final of the morning coming not top long before lunch when the TAG Heuer Porsche of Neel Jani crashed at turn one.
The last flag was once again brought out by James Calado an hour into the afternoon session when his Jaguar stopped on the straight beside the pit lane exit.
Formula E Testing (combined times) –
- Sam Bird Envision Virgin Racing 1:15.570
- Maximilian Guenther BMW i Andretti 1:15.663
- Antonio Felix Da Costa DS Techeetah 1:55.681
- Mitch Evans Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:15.724
- Jean-Eric Vergne DS Techeetah 1:15.798
- Sebastien Buemi Nissan e.dams 1:15.882
- Oliver Rowland Nissan e.dams 1:15.942
- Pascal Wehrlein Mahindra Racing 1:15.975
- Robin Frijns Envision Virgin Racing 1:16.081
- Daniel Abt Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler 1:16.084
- Alexander Sims BMW i Andretti 1:16.097
- Lucas Di Grassi Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler 1:16.140
- Nico Mueller Geox Dragon 1:16.387
- Andre Lotterer TAG Heuer Porsche 1:16.482
- Edoardo Mortara Venturi Racing 1:16.531
- Jerome D’Ambrosio Mahindra Racing 1:16.552
- Felipe Massa Venturi Racing 1:16.580
- Brendon Hartley Geox Dragon 1:16.698
- Oliver Turvey NIO 333 1:16.867
- James Calado Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:17.016
- Neel Jani TAG Heuer Porsche 1:17.343
- Stoffel Vandoorne Mercedes-Benz EQ 1:17.389
- Nyck de Vries Mercedes-Benz EQ 1:17.694
- Ma Qing Hua NIO 333 1:20.220