Chinese Formula E driver Ma Qing Hua has been placed in a precautionary 14-day quarantine ahead of the Mexico City ePrix later this month.
The move follows the outbreak of the coronavirus which has already forced the series to postpone the Sanya ePrix previously scheduled to take place on March 21.
Ma Qing Hua arrived in Mexico City on February 2 and will remain in quarantine between now and the race on February 16.
A statement from the NIO 333 team that Ma drives for said that 32-year-old driver would remain in quarantine so as to act “in a responsible manner toward the championship and personnels involved in Formula E”.
Chinese members of the NIO team returned to China after the Santiago ePrix to celebrate the lunar new year and the team confirmed all members of the team remain in full health.
“All Chinese staffs of the NIO 333 Formula E team celebrated the traditional Chinese New Year’s holiday in China after the Santiago E-Prix,” a team statement said.
“All team members remained at home in Shanghai over the extended holiday in response to the government’s advice facing the Coronavirus outbreak.
“All the staffs are well and healthy, currently preparing the next round of Mexico City E-Prix.”
No date for the postponed Sanya ePrix has yet been proposed, with the race possibly facing cancellation.
Possible contingency plans for a second race in New York exist, but the NIO statement said the team hoped to see the race take place once the situation had improved.
“We look forward to welcoming Sanya E-Prix back to the 2019-2020 ABB FIA Formula E Championship’s calendar once the situation is improved and we hope to support China in this critical fight by a strong performance on track,” it said.