Maximilian Guenther put his BMW i Andretti on top for the final day of ABB FIA Formula E pre-season 6 testing in Valencia.
The German, who recorded the quickest time of the week 1:15.087, was one of only a handful of drivers to improve their times during the afternoon session which followed another post-lunch simulation race.
This second ‘race’ was ‘won’ by Nissan e.dams’ Sebastien Buemi.
Birthday boy Pascal Wehrlein didn’t improve on his best time from the morning and so his Mahindra ended the day second fastest, 0.103 seconds behind Guenther.
Geox Dragon’s Nico Muller and DS Techeetah’s Antonio Felix da Costa finished third and fourth with their morning times of 1:15.198 and 1:15.293 respectively. Behind them Mitch Evans manages to improve his time by six hundredths to 1:15.306 which left his Panasonic Jaguar car fifth overall.
Sebastien Buemi’s 1:15.328 means he was the top Nissan e.dams and sixth quickest today. Alexander Sims made it two BMW i Andretti’s in the top 10 but unlike his teammate he didn’t improve on his 1:15.359 after lunch.
The final improved time in the quickest 10 came from Mahindra’s Jerome d’Ambrosio who knocked more than six tenths off his time to finish eighth with a 1:15.454.
Signing off from Valencia in ninth and tenth were DS Techeetah’s reigning champion, Jean-Eric Vergne with a 1:15.480 and Venturi Racing’s Felipe Massa with 1:15.504.
There were a total of five red flag periods during the two sessions, the sole showing in the morning was caused by Sims who’s meeting with the chicane called lunch 10 minutes early.
The chicane was also responsible for almost all of the afternoon stoppages, other than Edoardo Mortara’s Venturi stopping at the end of the pit lane which brought out the first red of the afternoon just after 4pm.
The chicane made its presence known at half past when it snared the Mercedes-Benz EQ of Stoffel Vandoorne. Then came Mueller’s Dragon at 4:50pm and despite the session being extended to a quarter past 5, the chequered flag was waved at 17:06 after Guenther ended up as the final victim.
Formula E Testing (combined times) –
- Maximilian Guenther BMW i Andretti 1:15.087
- Pascal Wehrlein Mahindra Racing 1:15.190
- Nico Mueller Geox Dragon 1:15.198
- Antonio Felix Da Costa DS Techeetah 1:15.293
- Mitch Evans Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:15.306
- Sebastien Buemi Nissan e.dams 1:15.328
- Alexander Sims BMW i Andretti 1:15.359
- Jerome d’Ambrosio Mahindra Racing 1:15.494
- Jean-Eric Vergne DS Techeetah 1:15.480
- Felipe Massa Venturi Racing 1:15.504
- Sam Bird Envision Virgin Racing 1:15.576
- Daniel Abt Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler 1:15.673
- Lucas di Grassi Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler 1:15.675
- Brendon Hartley Geox Dragon 1:15.682
- Edoardo Mortara Venturi Racing 1:15.684
- Andre Lotterer TAG Heuer Porsche 1:15.699
- Stoffel Vandoorne Mercedes-Benz EQ 1:15.736
- Robin Frijns Envision Virgin Racing 1:15.819
- Oliver Rowland Nissan e.dams 1:15.867
- James Calado Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:15.880
- Nyck de Vries Mercedes-Benz EQ 1:15.916
- Neel Jani TAG Heuer Porsche 1:16.053
- Oliver Turvey NIO 333 1:16.568
- Ma Qing Hua NIO 333 1:17.047
Want the latest Formula 1, Formula E & IndyCar news sent directly to you? Subscribe here!