Envision Virgin Racing again ended the day at the top of the charts at the ABB FIA Formula E pre-season 6 testing in Valencia.
The afternoon session included a mock race which tested out both the new Full Course Yellow/Safety Car procedure, which will reduce energy by 1kWh for each minute the cars are under Safety Car or Full Course Yellow conditions, and the higher powered Attack Mode which has been given a 10kW boost to 235kW. The ‘race’ was ‘won’ by Mercedes-Benz EQ driver Stoffel Vandoorne.
Robin Frijns’ 1:15.377 from the morning session wasn’t beaten during the afternoon so he ended the day 0.057 seconds ahead of Maximilian Guenther as the BMW i Andretti drivers posted the second and third fastest times of the day.
Nissan e.dams’ Oliver Rowland slotted into fourth with a 1:15.444 while the Geox Dragon cars put in a good showing to secure fifth for Nico Mueller and seventh for Brendon Hartley.
Sitting between the two rookie Dragons was new DS Techeetah signing, Antonio Felix da Costa, who topped the afternoon session but didn’t go faster than his morning time of 1:15.557.
The only improved time in the top 10 came from eighth place James Calado who pulled a 1:15.624 out of his Panasonic Jaguar Racing machine, his teammate Mitch Evans was only 0.016 seconds behind in ninth.
Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler closed out the top 10 for the second day running but this time with Lucas di Grassi and his time of 1:15.680.
There were six red flag periods, each lasting around 10 minutes, during the course of the morning for chicane related incidents. Nyck de Vries was the first casualty half an hour into the session with Andre Lotterer following just before the first hour was up.
An hour of uninterrupted running followed before Jerome d’Ambrosio brought the flag out again at 11:06. Fifteen minutes later it was Felipe Massa’s turn before Daniel Abt called an early lunch with his crash at 11:53.
The final showing of the red flag came with less than half an hour left on the clock in the afternoon session, when
Formula E Testing (combined times) –
- Robin Frijns Envision Virgin Racing 1:15.377
- Maximilian Guenther BMW i Andretti 1:15.434
- Alexander Sims BMW i Andretti 1:15.437
- Oliver Rowland Nissan e.dams 1:15.444
- Nico Mueller Geox Dragon 1:15.515
- Antonio Felix da Costa DS Techeetah 1:15.557
- Brendon Hartley Geox Dragon 1:15.592
- James Calado Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:15.624
- Mitch Evans Panasonic Jaguar Racing 1:15.640
- Lucas Di Grassi Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler 1:15.680
- Edoardo Mortara Venturi Racing 1:15.695
- Jean-Eric Vergne DS Techeetah 1:15.719
- Sam Bird Envision Virgin Racing 1:15.736
- Sebastien Buemi Nissan e.dams 1:15.777
- Daniel Abt Audi Sport Abt Schaeffler 1:15.797
- Pascal Wehrlein Mahindra Racing 1:15.812
- Stoffel Vandoorne Mercedes-Benz EQ 1:15.866
- Andre Lotterer TAG Heuer Porsche 1:15.974
- Jerome D’Ambrosio Mahindra Racing 1:15.982
- Felipe Massa Venturi Racing 1:16.122
- Neel Jani TAG Heuer Porsche 1:16.175
- Nyck de Vries Mercedes-Benz EQ 1:17.031
- Oliver Turvey NIO 333 1:17.045
- Ma Qing Hua NIO 333 1:18.171